Month 1 – Finances
Below are the necessary tasks to keep me on budget
Set up a savings plan
Check and enter all daily expenses – no matter what
Plan a budget and stick to it
Balance my accounts at the end of the month
Use up and maintain what we already have
This will be a lean month for spending to help recover from the Christmas period and the heavier spending last month – here are my ideas to help build up my financial reserves and spend as little as possible this month. They are in no particular order and the 1-31 does not correspond to the dates in January rather I will do them as time allows but I will do one each day.
Take any returns to shops for a refund. Just John Lewis to do now Pay in any cheques / Christmas monies Bag up loose change and take to the bank Update Savings chart with interest payments and diary in the end of any fixed deals Apply for an new ISA with a good rate of interest and consolidate the two that are now on a low rate. Look for money off coupons online
- Use any vouchers and reward points against shopping / gifts that I need to purchase Ongoing process
Research online for any better energy deals Research car and house insurance for a better deal Use up all food in cupboards and freezer – buy as few groceries as possible Move appointments such as Hair cutting on a week Apply for Cashback Plus from my bank Balance all my accounts and run 2013 reports Identify areas of high spending Identify any old accounts that need to be closed Run a passive income report for 2013
- Type up a menu plan for the whole of January using up Cupboard and freezer contents
- Check electricity usage daily for a month with the monitor
- Gather together any items to sell Have made a start on this one
- Set up an Ebay and/or Amazon account
- Take photos of items to sell and upload
- Begin putting ideas down for crafting an easy to make birthday card
- Make enough cards for 6 months
- Make a list of any birthday gifts I will need for the next 6 months
- Make a plan of how to save on lunches at work
- Make a maintenance plan so that all the appliances I own are kept in good working order – including the car – clean and maintain one appliance each week I have started this
- Look through the numerous packets of seeds I have with a view to growing plants rather than buying – this can extend to taking cuttings
Research energy prices and new deals Review housekeeping budget
The last few tasks I will be adding as I go along as there will be new tasks arising over the month and possibly from the tasks already listed – because as they say one thing leads to another.
As well as tracking and managing my finances I aim to give the office space a thorough going over. No drawer or cupboard or file will be left unturned
Empty desk drawers and only put back anything that is used Go through the files and remove outdated items for shredding Go through receipts and shred any not required
- Fix and underdesk wire basket for those awful trailing wires
Check out the systems we have in place for dealing with our finances and look for better ways of doing them
You can read about my progress here – click on the links
2 thoughts on “January”
Wow! I love this…..you’ve got me thinking if I should make a list too!
Making the list was the easy part – doing it may be a little trickier!