Well at least our possessions are…at last they are going in to store or into the skip.
Today I had a phone call from Wendy – she works for ChemDry and she has been absolutely brilliant through our flood saga making appointments for people to visit and arranging for the key to be picked up when required. She is so efficient I haven’t had to do a thing. I was surprised to find that she had also accompanied the man from ChemDry to go down to our cottage to list and pack away the contents that have survived and remove the rest for disposal.
She phoned me at work to check a few things, which was very good of her – it made me feel as if someone was actually taking good care of the remains of our possessions. She even apologised as she had intended leaving us a couple of cups so we could get a cup of tea when we go up but they had inadvertently got packed – but I was pleased at her thoughtfulness.
I showed you the outside pictures of the flood but I don’t think I have shown you inside – so here we go – you may need your wellies on and tread carefully the surface is slippy.
This is what we saw when we went inside the day after the flood – no water left but just a layer of very slippery mud all over the floors.
Looks quite normal above floor level doesn’t it? – the settee was in here temporarily whilst we decorated the living room. The water here was just above skirting height but everything got splashed by the Fire crew going in. I managed to salvage this wooden side table and have cleaned it down – as it was painted even on the bottom the water had not got into the wood.
The bottom of every cupboard had been flooded.
The conservatory was the worst hit – the water here reached up to the line on the tablecloth about 2′ high.
Our new bath was being stored in here under the pink sheet. Someone had tipped the chair up on end to try and save it but the water has got the cushions – so all this here is for the skip. Below is a more recent picture now the mud is drier.
The Living Room
The bed from the small bedroom was in here whilst we installed the Velux window – it was brand new but destined now for the skip. Smaller items had been moved around by the water. The little bookcase which was in the bedroom alcove was from Ikea but has been water damaged at the bottom – I particularly liked this and cannot replace it now as it is discontinued.
Because we were still decorating the living room the wooden floor had not been laid – so this is still the concrete covered in mud.
These are the earlier pictures when we put up the boarding on the walls and painted it…
then added the French Doors through to the conservatory where the window was…
…everything had just had the last coat of paint and we were ready to finish the electrics…
I am not even sure yet if the specially made doors will survive and the next step is the stripping out –
when all the boarding will be pulled off together with the plaster and the doors!
It is beginning to feel like running a film backwards!