After a shaky start last week I am just about getting back into a routine both at work and home. At work it is the lull before the storm as there are some big changes ahead starting February – I am not even sure what I will be doing when it happens but I am not going to worry about that now. No I am going to get my house in order – starting with the finances.
Each evening after work I have been ‘Focusing’ on one financial task from my list.
So far I have…
- taken the loose change to the bank – £14 in 5p, 2p and 1p’s over the year.
- taken any returns to the shops for a refund (all but John Lewis this has to be a weekend job),
- reimbursed our account with the cost of some clothes bought for my mum in law,
- applied for a cash back card,
- checked out our current energy deals and
- begun making a pile of sellable items that we no longer want.
Like a lot of other bloggers I have been totting up the Grocery spend for last year
Total Grocery spend for 2013
£3,082.59 for the year or £59.20 week which is a disappointing £10 a week over the budget I set. My best month was June £175.14 and my worst August £370.79.
Most of this was spent in Sainsbury’s and I have now got over £80 in reward points to spend – this will help get us through January.
Did I mention I accidentally pulled the plug out of the freezer in the garage when I thought I had just unplugged the outside Christmas lights. It happened last Tuesday night and not discovered until Saturday! I need saving from myself.
Not sure what we can save and eat or will have to abandon – any suggestions anyone? At least it was in the process of being run down to help get through a frugal January – so not a huge amount in there. Oh well tomorrow ‘s another day…