Otherwise known as the ‘throw it all in and use it all up’ and see what you get!
By the end of the week I find that I have an assortment of bits of vegetables that are leftover and not wanting to waste anything I either adapt a recipe or just create something new (a bit like they do on the TV programme ‘Can’t Cook, Won’t Cook’ when presented with an assortment of items).
This is what I had left today to use up – I named it Hearty Chickpea Stew – it was quite delicious and very filling. I will definitely make it again.
From the fridge or vegetable rack
- 1 Leek
- 2 small and almost sprouting onions
- A few ends of celery
- A handful of new potatoes
- A medium sweet potato
- 4 small carrots
From the store cupboard or pantry
- I can of Chickpeas
- a few slices of bread
Plus a few staple items
- Add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 Kallo Tomato Stock cube, a scoop of Tomato paste, salt and pepper and a pinch of mixed herbs.
- Gently cook the onion , leek and celery together in the olive oil until soft.
- Add chopped / diced vegetables
- Add Tin Chickpeas (well rinsed)
- Add stock to cover veg, tomato paste and seasonings
- Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 minutes
Serve hot with crusty or speciality bread
You might also like to read about…